What is HoistSearch.com?
HoistSearch.com is a harmful browser hijacker that can alter your browser settings without your permission. It is distributed via freeware and shareware downloads using an unfair method called bundling. In most cases computer users do not even notice how the program gained access to their system.
HoistSearch.com can affect any browser hijacker, so you will not be able to avoid it once it gets installed. The hijacker will cause more disturbance than just the settings modifications. It will also display ads on your screen, redirect you to unfamiliar pages and slow down your Internet connection. There is no reason you should hesitate to delete HoistSearch.com from your PC.
How does HoistSearch.com work?
If you install free software often, you should know that it comes with additional offers most of the time. Those additional offers are usually potentially unwanted programs. Luckily, there is usually a way to decline them and continue with your installation anyway. That is exactly what you should do next time you install shareware or freeware. Choose Advanced installation and un-check all boxes with unnecessary software.
Another thing that you should know about browser hijackers is that they lower your online security level. They fill your browsers with ads and pop-ups that can easily be fake. If you follow a corrupted link, you will end up on a malware harboring page and infect your system. That is not something you want. Malware can cause serious computer damage, not to mention private data loss.
It is clear that keeping HoistSearch.com is not safe. Aside from security related issues that come with the hijacker, you should also keep in mind that it tracks your Internet browsing activities recording what pages you visit, what searches you make and so on. This is done for marketing purposes. The collected data could also be sold to third parties. If you think that there are more than enough reasons for you to terminate HoistSearch.com, you should move on to the next chapter.
How to remove HoistSearch.com?
If you want to remove HoistSearch.com manually, you will have to follow the instructions below. If, on the other hand, you want to save time and make sure that similar problems do not occur in the future, you should think about implementing a powerful anti-malware utility. There are plenty of advantages to having a malware prevention and removal tool on your PC, not the least of which is the fact that it will safeguard your computer from various online threats. You can use the anti-malware to eliminate HoistSearch.com completely and get rid of any other potentially unwanted or even malicious programs that may be in your system.
Guide on HoistSearch.com Removal
Step 1: Uninstall HoistSearch.com and the related software
- Tap Win+C and click Settings -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program
- Click on the unwanted application and then Uninstall
Windows 7 & Vista/Windows XP
- Start → Control Panel → Uninstall a program/Add or remove programs
- Select the suspicious program and click Uninstall/Remove
Step 2: Delete HoistSearch.com from your browsers
- Open your browser and click Alt+H
- Select Troubleshooting Information
- Click on the Reset Firefox button
- Confirm it and click Finish
- Launch the browser and click on the menu
- Pick Settings and click on Show advanced settings
- Select Reset browser settings and click Reset
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon
- Choose Internet Options
- Go to the Advanced tab and click Reset
- Check Delete personal settings and click Reset
Step 3: Edit the Target line in your browser shortcuts
- Right-click on your browser icon
- Select Properties -> Shortcut tab
- Highlight HoistSearch.com part in Target
- Delete it and click OK.