Pirated software has been detected Removal Guide
If you find your computer’s system blocked by a message that says “Pirated software has been detected”, you can be sure that your computer was infected by a ransomware virus. This type of virus attacks your system, blocks it, and demands payment for unblocking it. Cyber criminals are able to convince the users that the message is real, because they use the emblems of the Department of Justice and the Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center.
Needless to say, no international authorities use screen blocking as the way to deal with criminals. Paying this ransom means sending your money directly to cyber criminals. Instead of paying the money, delete Pirated software has been detected virus from your computer immediately.
How does Pirated software has been detected work?
This virus usually infiltrates the user’s computer through Trojans, drive-by-downloads, fake downloads (like fake Flash or Java updates), exploit kits or spam emails. Be very careful about opening your emails, because cyber criminals are known to use officially looking emails to trick the users into downloading the attachments. If the virus infiltrated your computer, delete Pirated software has been detected” virus ASAP. Know that, even though the goal of this particular attack is to get your money, it is possible that your computer is infected with more than just this one virus. We recommend to scan your system with a trustworthy anti-malware after the Pirated software has been detected removal.
Once it gets inside, the virus changes image files (like .jpg files) to executable files adding .exe extension to their names. It also blocks your access to the most popular websites by modifying your hosts files. The virus ads a list of malicious websites to the files and you are directed to predetermined websites every time you try to access eBay, tumblr, Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc. With each try, you are shown the same message:
This computer was automatically blocked. Reason: Pirated software has been detected
The criminals that send you this message also demand that you pay a 500 EUR (or 500 CAD) fine using bitcoins. If you do not pay the money in three days, they threaten criminal charges and even arrest. It is unclear if your files would be unblocked after paying the money. However, the fact remains that by paying, you support the criminals that infected your PC in the first place. The best course of action is to eliminate Pirated software has been detected virus.
How to remove Pirated software has been detected?
It is obvious that your need to terminate Pirated software has been detected as soon as possible. Below this article we present instructions on how to uninstall Pirated software has been detected. Follow them closely and scan your computer for additional malware after the Pirated software has been detected removal.
Restore your hosts file
- Go to My Computer and choose Local Disk (C:).
- Choose Windows and select System32.
- Select drivers folder and move to etc folder.
- Find the hosts file and open it using Notepad.
- For Windows XP: At the bottom of your host file should be only one line: 127.0.0.1 localhost. For
- Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8: you should find two lines at the bottom of your host file: 127.0.0.1 localhost and ::11 localhost.
- Delete everything that is below theses lines and save the changes.
Reset your browsers
- Press Alt+X and go to Internet Options.
- Choose Advanced tab and select Reset.
- Choose Delete all personal settings and press Reset.
- Press Close and click OK. Then restart the browser.
- Choose menu icon (top right corner) and select Question mark.
- Click Troubleshooting Information and choose Reset Firefox.
- Click Reset Firefox again and select Finish.
- Restart the browser.
- Press Alt+F and choose Settings.
- Move to Users and click Delete this user.
- Restart the browser.