What is Spyware Defender?
Spyware Defender is a rogue anti-spyware application that tries to trick you into downloading its full version. The official website of the application does not look suspicious at all. It has a detailed description of the program including a list of basic functions and even Top Testimonials. The interface of this application is very similar to Microsoft Security Essentials which is a legitimate security software. That is why some computer users may be tempted to upgrade the program.
However, you should not do that. This rogue will not clean or protect your system. You should terminate Spyware Defender without hesitation.
How does Spyware Defender work?
There are a couple of ways how the application gets distributed. You could have infected your computer with it by downloading a spam e-mail attachment. It may also have arrived bundled with freeware or shareware. Once it gets installed, the program runs a fake scan and presents you with a list of non-existent viruses that were supposedly detected. You will see a message that looks something like this:
“This app is unable to delete all found threats!
A suitable antivirus software is not installed on your computer.
Please press Search Antivirus button to find and install suitable software to clean your system from threats
You need to immediately install antivirus software and clean up your computer. Your personal data is at risk!”
After the misleading notification appears on your screen you are offered to buy and install an anti-malware tool. This message should not be taken seriously as there is nothing wrong with your computer. And even if there is, the fake anti-spyware will not be able to help you with it. These scare tactics are simply used to make easy profit by selling a useless program which is not that cheap either.
If you click on the Search Antivirus button, you will be offered such untrustworthy anti-malware applications as Spyware Defender 2014, Antivirus WIN 2014 and Antivirus 2014, all of which cost around 70$. If you choose to download the fake anti-spyware, you will not only waste your money, but also disclose your personal details to cyber crooks. That is not something you want to do. You should get rid of Spyware Defender as soon as you can.
How to remove Spyware Defender?
It is clear that you need to eliminate Spyware Defender from your computer. The rogue anti-spyware can corrupt your system and express other unwanted behavior like disturbing your web browsing, making some of your programs become unresponsive, disabling your Internet connection, and more. In order to delete Spyware Defender, you need to acquire a legitimate anti-malware utility. Once you do, you will be able to terminate Spyware Defender and keep your PC protected from other online threats. First, however, you need to access Safe Mode with Networking. Instructions on how to do that are presented below.
Spyware Defender Removal
- Press Win+C and click on Settings
- Select Change PC Settings and click General
- Go to Advanced startup and click on Restart Now
- Choose Troubleshoot and click Advanced Options
- Select Startup Settings and click on Restart
- Choose F5 and the system will reboot in Safe Mode
- Access the Internet and download the removal tool
- Install and launch the anti-malware program
Windows 7 & Vista
- Reboot your computer system
- Once the BIOS screen disappears, start tapping F8
- Select Safe Mode with Networking
- Open the browser and download the security program
- Install the application and launch it
- Restart your computer and wait for BIOS to load
- Once it does, start tapping F8
- Choose Safe Mode with Networking and click YES
- Open your browser and download the anti-malware
- Click on Start and select Run
- Type in ‘msconfig’ and click OK
- Go to the Startup tab, select Disable All and click OK
- Reboot your system in Normal Mode
- Install and launch the malware remover