Websearch.searchtotal.info Removal Tips
Websearch.searchtotal.info is classified as a browser hijacker. It replaces your home page and default search engine as soon as it gets installed. It may also add an extension or an add-on to your browsers. The hijacker belongs to a potentially unwanted or an ad-supported application. It is compatible with all popular web browsers including IE, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
The main aim of the program is to generate online traffic which means that it will also fill your favorite pages with commercial data and cause redirects to websites that have nothing to do with your interests. In order to go back to normal Internet surfing, you will have to terminate Websearch.searchtotal.info.
How does Websearch.searchtotal.info work?
Websearch.searchtotal.info works similarly to other hijackers that belong to the Websearch family. Once it gets installed, it sets Websearch.searchtotal.info as your home page and default search provider. The website itself contains a search box, a suspicious ad right below it and not much else. Its logo is somewhat similar to Google’s logo. Entering a query into the search box leads you to Google.com where you are presented with results that contain sponsored links. The ads and links you see on the results page as well as on any other site that you open can not be trusted. They may be fake and you could end up infecting your computer with malware if you click on them. To make sure you keep your system safe, you should get rid of Websearch.searchtotal.info.
You may also notice other symptoms that start appearing after the installation of the program. You may get redirected to sites affiliated with the hijacker. It may also affect your Internet connection and system speed. Moreover, the hijacker tracks your cookies and records which pages you visit, what searches you make and so on. Although this information is not personally-identifiable, it does not mean that you have to share it with third parties.
How to remove Websearch.searchtotal.info?
There are two ways you can delete Websearch.searchtotal.info from your browsers: manually or automatically. Before you decide which one you want to choose, you should keep in mind that only automatic removal will ensure that you eliminate Websearch.searchtotal.info completely. That is why we suggest that you download and implement the anti-malware utility which will clean your system and protect it from various online threats in the future. If, on the other hand, you decide that you want to go with manual Websearch.searchtotal.info removal after all, you can use the instructions provided below the article.
- Right-click on the lower left corner or open Start menu
- Choose Control Panel from the list
- Select Uninstall a program/Add or remove programs
- Pick the unwanted application and click Uninstall/Remove
Eliminate Websearch.searchtotal.info from browsers:
- Click on the Gear icon and select Manage Add-ons
- Pick the unwanted extension and remove it
- In Search providers delete Websearch.searchtotal.info
- Go back and click on Gear icon again
- Click Internet Options and change your home page
- Click on menu icon and choose Add-ons
- In Extensions erase unwanted extensions
- Click on the menu again and select Option
- On the General tab replace your home page
- On the Search tab remove Websearch.searchtotal.info
- Click on Google Chrome menu
- Select More Tools and go to Extensions
- Delete unwanted add-ons and go to Settings
- Click Set pages to modify your home page
- Select Manage Search engines under Search
- Uninstall Websearch.searchtotal.info