XTab Removal Guide
Even though, at first glance it may seem that XTab is a browsers hijacker, computer experts claim that it is not a hijacker, but a hijacker protecting tool. It prevents users form undoing the changes made by the hijacker in their browsers. However, the presence of this application also indicates that you do have a hijacker in your system.
Though this potentially unwanted application is called XTab, the interface in your PC will be named SearchProtect or something similar depending on the version of the program. If your browsers’ settings were modified and you are not allowed to alter them because SearchProtect by XTab protects them, we advise to delete XTab and associated software.
What does XTab do?
If you are not sure whether your system is infected with XTab, you should check your Task Manager. If the intruder is in your computer, you will see two entries with Protectservice.exe processes. As we said, the presence of this intruder also means that a browser hijacker resides in your PC as well. XTab usually travels with such software like Conduit, V9 redirect, Only-search.com, Uber-Search.com, etc. all of which are categorized as browser hijackers. Both of these applications probably entered your system bundled with freeware you recently installed from some suspicious website. In the future, you should be more careful with free of charge software installations. Remember that potentially unwanted programs are very often added to freeware bundles to monetize free downloads. To stop these programs form entering your system, you need to monitor every step of the the installation wizard. Of course, if you already found this application in your system, you need to remove XTab.
The main goal of this program is to prevent users from undoing the changes made by a hijacker. As a result, you are forced to use whatever home page and default search engine the intruder imposed upon you. It is clear that even though the program is not malicious, you certainly will not be happy with the services it provides. Add to that the fact that this software entered your system without permission and alongside browsers hijacker, which can be very dangerous for any system, and it should become obvious that you need to get rid of XTab and all the other related applications. Beware that for as long as this program stays in your PC, you will not be able to alter your settings and will be stuck with a nasty hijacker. Eliminate XTab right now.
How to remove XTab?
The XTab removal might be quite complicated, unless you are an experienced computer user. For this reason we recommend to terminate XTab automatically with a help of a reputable computer security software. The same tool will also stay in your system to protect if from other threats. However, if you wish to take care of XTab removal by yourself, you can definitely try to do that by following the guidelines presented below.
- In the bottom right corner of the screen, click Settings.
- Tap Control Panel and choose Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall suspicious application.
- Click Start button and select Control Panel.
- Move to Add or Remove programs and remove unwanted program (Delete XTab)
Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Access Start menu and pick Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a program and uninstall untrustworthy software.
Uninstall XTab and related application from your browsers
- Press Gear icon and pick Internet Options.
- Overwrite the home page in the General tab.
- Click Gear icon again and open Manage Add-ons.
- Access Toolbars and Extensions and delete unwanted add-ons.
- In Search Providers, delete/change your search engine.
- Click the menu icon and choose Options.
- Pick General tab and overwrite your home page.
- Navigate to Search tab and change/remove your search provider.
- Tap the menu one more time and open Add-ons.
- Terminate unwanted extensions.
- Click on the menu and tap Settings.
- Choose Set pages and set your new home page after you delete the old one.
- Under Search, select Manage search engine.
- Remove/change your search tool.
- In the Extensions, erase useless add-ons.